Thursday, February 11, 2010

Mind over body

Wednesdays are my cross-training days right now (until my actual training schedule starts). It's only 20 minutes and I usually go at a pretty easy pace, so it's not that big of a deal to go to the gym. But yesterday I just did not want to go. Work has been crazy busy lately, so the fact that I got out of the office by 5:00 was huge. The idea of being home in time to watch the evening news was almost too much to pass up.

But then I remembered last week. When I skipped the gym and called shopping my cross training. I may have been walking/standing for 20 minutes, but it's not quite the same. And when I went for my 3.5 mile run the next day, it was one of my worst runs. I could barely make it to 2 miles and once I had seen my distance, I was checking every minute to see how much further I had to go.

So I pulled it together and forced myself to turn towards the gym rather than home. And--bonus!--the parking attendant must have been sick or something today because the parking was free. I biked for 25 minutes and read my latest nook purchase (true life crime stories--not as good as I hoped).

We'll see how I feel doing my run tomorrow, but I'm hoping that it goes well. Maybe just getting my legs moving a little during the day in between will actually help more than resting them.

~eca.

No comments:

Post a Comment